Saturday, June 14, 2008

What is a Father?

A male parent ~ a man who exercises paternal care over other persons; paternal protector or provider: a father to the poor. The Father, Theology ~ the first person of the Trinity.



My dad has been gone for over 30 years and not a birthday or holiday goes by that I don't think of him. It's funny how you remember the little things that now are the monumental things in life. The trips on the train to spend the day in Providence or Boston, just me and him. On our way to the fish in the river we would stop by the cemetery to visit his parents' grave. We never really caught anything but eels and turtles, I thought it was gross but went anyway. Everything was a walk. There wasn't a car, there was no need for one. There were two small markets opened on Sundays which relied on the forgetfulness of that one item needed to complete Sunday dinner. As soon as the last mass was over, the store closed. My dad loved to draw in charcoal and pencil. He loved the circus and had a big part in bringing the circus to town as the promoter. He left 2 wonderful scrapbooks of letters and pictures from the various circuses in one and opera/theater in the other. I have been fortunate to get the circus memorabilia, the autograph picture of Buffalo Bill which was given to my grandfather, a man I never knew but through this scrapbook have learn to admire. With this said; we will celebrate the dad's that have gone before us and the dad's in the moment. We will celebrate with family and friends. My sister and I will reminisce of the piggy back rides, the 'horsey' rides on the rocking chair handles and dancing on my father's feet as we listened to the Tennessee Waltz by Peggy Lee. So, for all the dads and all the memories, both good and bad, we honor you today. We hope the memories are as good for you as they are for me. If you are away from your dad, don't forget to call him, he'll be waiting.
Happy Father's Day!

No comments: