Sunday, January 11, 2009

In a matter of hours...

When we walked out the door on Wednesday morning, the ice was between 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick on the roadways. It took us much longer than expected to get to the airport, but we got there.

Looking through the ice covered window of the plane and thinking how amazing it is to know in the afternoon we would enjoying temps in the 80's.

One can only imagine how cold the de-icers are.

I left 2 hrs between connections, so the fact I was without my Starbucks when I boarded the plane made me look forward to the first sip as I waited for our connection. It was only a 30 minute ride, I have patience .WRONG! We ended up running to get our connection as the plane was being held. All in all, a few hours later we were in a different world than we left.

The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa greeted us with the lobby of decorated palm trees and Christmas tree.

Room with a view, please.

Once we were checked in, we were off to find the daughter, the Gator Princesses and Prince. Much to my surprise they were doing arts and crafts (something the Resort runs daily). We were so happy to see them having such a fun time.

We went back to their suite, where we talked of their best friends all coming and being together after one of the families had moved away, splitting them apart.

We talked about having 2 Grandpas with them at the same time and all the others who would be joining them during the few days we were there.

Life was good for them, this last game as Gators kids.

We met up with friends and ventured across the walkway for dinner; 5 children between the ages of 3 and 6, the Gator kids were with the Pita kids and really liking it.

It was a good time had by all and we ventured back to the Resort to tuck the kids in and leave the husbands. to fend for themselves, as we women went off to the Gator hospitality room for drinks and socializing. I watched as my daughter walked the walk and talked the talk to other Gator wives, alumni, faculty and everyone else allowed to be there. I watched, knowing that this is the last function she would attend as a Gator and a new chapter in her life was about to unfold.

I could not believe I slept until 8:30...yes, the Heavenly Bed was quite heavenly if I do say so myself...

Thursday morning was spent by the pool with a walk on the beach with grandchildren and friends collecting shells, coral and sponges.

Soon after finding our treasures, it was time to leave the pool and beach.
The morning went by too fast.

1 comment:

Sandie R said...

Ellen your trip to the sun sounds heavenly, as I sit here contemplating the snow on the driveway which I must shovel as hubby has injured his Knee. With that much ice on the roads weren't you affraid the plane would be grounded.